The Model RDS2 is a compact swing gate design air intake shutoff valve available with electric, pneumatic, or mechanical actuation. Actuation of the Model RDS2 closes the valve’s sealing element which shuts off intake air flow into the engine. The RDS2 can be used in fully automatic or manual shutdown systems.
The RDS2 Swing Gate Valve can be used in applications where the air intake line is 1½” to 2-7/8" (38 - 73 mm) in diameter. The RDS2 Swing Gate Valve can be mounted in vertical or horizontal orientations and airflow through the valve can be in either direction. When specifying the valve, note the clearance requirements for the valve with the geometry of the engine and intake line for your application. Note that the valve reset handle is used only on the mechanical and pneumatic actuated valves. The reset handle is not required on the solenoid actuated valve. To accommodate the installation requirements for the wide variety of diesel engine applications, the size and attachment types on the valve body and the valve cover are specified separately. The valve attachments are available in several styles including: hose, O-ring, V-clamp, flange, and engine specific adapters.
Click here to download the Model RDS2 Sales Bulletin (pdf)
The RDS2 has three actuation methods: pneumatic, electric and mechanical.
• The electrically actuated RDS2 is an energize-to-close valve. It operates using either 12 VDC or 24 VDC power. The valve will automatically reset after the engine stops and power is removed.
• The pneumatic actuated RDS2 is designed for mechanical latching in the open position (engine run) and air pressure actuated closure. The pneumatically actuated RDS2 is reset manually.
• The mechanically actuated RDS2 can be operated by using either a remote cable pull system or by direct operator action on the valve. The mechanically actuated RDS2 is reset manually.
The RDS2 Swing Gate Valve can be used on intake lines of naturally aspirated or turbo-charged engines where air intake line temperatures do not exceed 221°F (105°C) at the valve.
The RDS2 Swing Gate Valve has two options that can be added individually or in combination to meet the additional requirements for applications:
• A pneumatic cylinder can be added to the valve to provide remote reset capability for pneumatic and mechanical actuated valves.
• A proximity switch can be added to provide indication of the position of the swing gate disk. This is very useful in multiple valve applications such as twin intakes to provide status indication of both valves in the system to prevent operation on a single bank of cylinders in an engine.
Installation kits are also provided with each system sold. The installation kit contains the hardware required to facilitate the installation of the Air Intake Shutoff Valve into a diesel engine air intake line. Roda Deaco has hundreds of different installation kits designed to meet specific engine model and application requirements. The kits can range from hose with clamps to custom intake pipes, elbows, flanges, brackets, etc.
Actuation kits are provided with each system sold. The actuation kit contains the specific hardware required to properly install the system into the diesel engine application. The kits, while application speciﬁc, can include items such as:
• Voltage control module
• Circuit breaker
• Toggle switch or valve
• 3-Way pneumatic solenoid
• Pneumatic hose and ﬁttings
• Cable with T-handle